Online discussions at the Ford C max Energi Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Battery issues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 am 

I have been seeing drops in MPG on my 2013 energi 80K miles. I have been worried as I noticed that I see the car running on the ICE rather than battery most of the time when in Hybrid mode. I used to see much more battery operation and my MPG has dropped from 44 to 30.

Several trips to the dealer and voicing my concerns about the batteries has gone on deaf ears. They keep saying the checked it and all is well with the batteries and he saw no error codes.

So We are lucky to have a repair company that specializes in hybrid and battery cars so the next day after my car was at the dealer being checked, I took it to him. After only 30 minutes he said there is a code set that indicates possible battery problems but he is locked out of seeing the sub code. He said that the dealer certainly saw this code on my numerous trips to them about battery issues.

Only the dealer can retrieve this sub code so again back to the dealer. The service manager was squirming when I told him who I took it to as he admitted those guys are hybrid experts. He is going to retrieve the sub code and see whats up.

Wonder if Ford is like VW. With software code to hide battery issues until the warranty has expired.

Gary

Post subject: Re: Battery issues
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am 

Sorry to read about the HVB degradation, especially if it affect hybrid mode.

I am curious about the battery capacity when you charge your HVB - what is the kW reading when you use it from empty to full?

What is the code that the battery was able to pull? Is it a generic OBD code?

For what I read, there is a HVB test that the Ford dealer can run to establish health of the battery pack, but there is a fee ($150?) associated with it, but it seems to be a prerequisite to get the battery called for warranty replacement. Is it something your dealer offered?

Any other dealer you could take your car to?

Please keep us posted with your findings!

Post subject: Re: Battery issues
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:45 am 

Well after several more expensive dealer visits I am no closer to resolution. They wont tell me what the code they pulled was as they said its not for customer use. They claimed the 12 volt batter was the issue and causing controller problems so since it has been in the car since new I decided to change it. No change except to lower my savings account.

I have called Ford and today I have a meeting with service manager and dealership owner to discuss their deceptive service practices. I would go to another dealer but the next closest to me is one hour away but I may have to resort to that.

My EV battery is giving me only between 3.2 and 3.8 KHW averaged over about 20 trips in slow less than 45 MPH trips with radio off and climate set to lowest settings. I did get about 15 miles before it ran out but this was very conservative driving.

Guess I have a fight ahead

Gary