Online discussions at the Ford C max Energi Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 pm 

Hi all:
br
I am looking at buying a C-max. I see a lot of energi models in this area. I have researched the energi but I am confused about the hybrid mode. If you dont charge battery does it charge while driving in hybrid operation or does it have to be constantly charged by charging cord. I have a focus hybrid and I like the way it performs.

I know the advantage of energi is the EV operation but if I wanted to use it as a hybrid most of the time is that possible. I know there is a C-max hybrid but few are for sale in this area but lots of energi.

Thanks

Gary

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:26 am 

Hi, I just joined the forum after getting my used 2015 energi, and very happy with it so far. For sure you can drive an energi without plugging it in, as it will operate as the regular hybrid. However, I believe that as you drive, it only charges the hybrid portion of the battery which is about 1.4 kWh. The larger EV only portion is not charged, but must be plugged in. I would think you'll be very happy with the energi model anyway. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 am 

You can drive the Energi version in EV later mode to preserve the state of charge of the hybrid battery pack. Doing so allows you to flip thru the EV auto (to rebuild charge on downhills) and EV later while driving. This is especially helpful during interstate driving. Don't deeply discharge the HV battery pack by driving in EV now until empty. Not the best method to preserve HV battery health.