Online discussions at the Ford C max Energi Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:57 am 

Today I got into my C-Max energi and it says backup camera not available. Has anyone changed one of those cameras and if so what is the trick to get the trim off the inside of the hatch to access the camera? Are camera available other than through the dealers?

Thanks

gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 pm 

Well I tackled the rear camera removal today. Removing the inside trim panel for the lift gate is not terribly difficult.

I removed both access panels that allow you to change lamps on rear lights.
Remove the handle on the bottom inside of the lift gate.
Reach inside opening where you removed access panels and pull down briskly and panel will start to un latch
Do the same on the access hole on the other side
Then reach under the bottom near the gate latch and pull down. Reach in and unplug latch button before removing rest of panel.
There are also 2 trim panels that meet the glass and they must be removed as well.

The housing on the outside that has the latch handle and license plate lamps now needs to be removed.

Looking through the back there are 4 nuts that must be removed that hold on this housing
Once removed use a flashlight and you will see a couple plastic tabs near the bolts where you just removed the nuts.
Have someone outside the liftgate slightly pull on the housing while you push these clips allowing the housing to be removed.

The camera is inside the housing held on with some very cheap plastic pieces. Carefully remove the split side of these pieces by moving them down and away from the camera.
Remove camera and unplug harness.

I checked all my wiring for corrosion etc so it looks like camera must have a problem. Even if its not the fix camera glass was very cloudy on the inside so camera needed replacement, but this saves me expensive dealer time to do what I will already have done.

Hope this helps someone have the confidence to tackle this job. Do be sure to pull inside trim straight down as the clips on this panel are part of the panel and can not be replaced if you break them. I used force necessary to get it apart and nothing broke. Also do it on a warm day where clips are not to stiff.

I found a camera on Amazon that is supposed to be a replacement so we will see. Original camera part number shows up as no longer available and dealer said they had to order them so I think they may have to use a third party camera.

Hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 pm 

Just a follow up. New camera came in today and the cloudy out of focus picture and later a totally missing picture I had is gone. I could see an ant crawling on the driveway behind the car now.

Dealer want $625 to replace it and my cost for a Dorman 592-008 Park Assist Camera was just over $100 and about on hour of work. Called the dealer and thanked him for his inflated quote and told him I did it for $100 and I didnt appreciate their crazy insane rates.

This is surely a DIY project for someone with medium level of mechanical skills.